Report Launch: The U.S.-Mexico Border Economy in Transition
Tuesday, February 3, 2015, 9:00am-11:00am
Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
One Woodrow Wilson Plaza, 1300 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20004-3027
Throughout 2014, the North American Research Partnership- together with USAID Mexico, the Council of State Governments West, the Border Legislative Conference (BLC), the Mexico Institute/Woodrow Wilson Center, and several members of the Congressional Border Caucus- held a series of four U.S.-Mexico Regional Economic Competitiveness Forums. In order to engage border region stakeholders in a process to collectively generate a shared vision and policy recommendations to strengthen economic competitiveness, we travelled to San Diego/Tijuana, Nogales/Nogales, El Paso/Ciudad Juárez, and Laredo/Nuevo Laredo.The purpose of this event was to the launch of the report drawn from this effort, The U.S.-Mexico Border Economy in Transition
. This report lays out the major issues involved in border region economic development, compiles the many innovative ideas developed at the forums, and weaves them into a series of policy recommendations that draw on the experiences of those who understand the border best: the individuals who live in border communities and who cross back and forth between Mexico and the United States as a part of their daily lives.
- Duncan Wood, Director, Mexico Institute, Wilson Center
- Representative Henry Cuellar, U.S. House of Representatives
- Representative Beto O’Rourke, U.S. House of Representatives
- Representative Juan Vargas, U.S. House of Representatives
- Edgar Ruiz, Executive Director, Council of State Governments-West
- Christopher Wilson, Senior Associate, Mexico Institute, Wilson Center
- Erik Lee, Executive Director, North American Research Partnership
- Elizabeth Hogan, Acting Assistant Administrator for the Latin America and Caribbean Bureau, USAID
Click here for pictures.
Media contact: Ruth Soberanes, Research Analyst & Communications Manager, at 602-616-6209 or email email@example.com.